Wednesday, June 28, 2017


Dave helping me locate the Brewster's Warbler
I have this joke about hanging up my binoculars on June 1st for the summer. It's not because I need a birding break or don't enjoy seeing the birds in the summer, it's another flying species that keeps me home.

Mosquitoes REALLY seem to like me, but my body does not like them. Too many bites and I swell up like a balloon, and feel flu-ish. Having to take Benadryl to deal with it is not my idea of a good way to spend the weekend, so instead I choose to stay close to home over the summer and enjoy our summer birds, like Baltimore Orioles and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in our backyard.

On June 17th I decided to risk it. We were invited on a little road trip by our friends, Dave and Andi,  for a morning of birding and a picnic lunch at Big Chute. This was the first get together with them since confirming Andi and I are actually cousins (you can read about that here) and after finding out Dave went out and purchased some mosquito netting clothing for me, how could we say no.

They picked us up at 6:30am and after the new cousins shared a big hug we were on the road. I'm actually not even sure where we went, the Port Severn area I believe. I'm not going to lie, when we got to our destination I was a little worried about how bad the bugs were going to be. I had even brought a book  with me in case I needed to stay in the car. I put on my mosquito attire, sprayed the bug spray and hoped for the best. Thankfully, except for one area they weren't too bad.    

The highlight of the trip for me when we go birding with others is always the company, but the highlight bird of the day was the Brewster's Warbler, a hybrid of  Golden-winged and Blue-winged, and one Rob and I had never seen before.

Brewster's Warbler
I enjoyed watching the MANY dragonflies, like this Racket-tailed Emerald.
Snapping Turtle at the Big Chute marina.
Waving to Rob and Dave.
I meant to get a photo of Andi and I at some point during the day, first one as official cousins, but I forgot. We both fell asleep in the backseat of the Jeep on the ride home. Rob took a picture of the two sleeping beauties with his cell phone. Not going to share the photo, but let's just say it's proves we're family.

It was a great outing, and I'm glad I didn't let the mosquitoes keep me home.

No comments: