This past weekend Rob and I did something we hadn't done in over a decade, we went camping! We joined our friends, Dave and Andi, at Presqu'ile Provincial Park
for a long weekend to celebrate Rob's birthday. They went up a day before us and were all set up for us when we arrived.
I'm doing this blog a little different, since it's mainly pics, I'm numbering them, with a description below. Enjoy, we did! (click on a picture to enlarge)
- Welcome to "Chateau Dave"
, a lovely 2 bedroom bungalow on the shores of Lake Ontario. Features include; small kitchenette, sitting area, fireplace, and vast living-room. Comes with pets; chipmunks, raccoons, and skunks. Bring peanuts!
- The perfect wine for this group! The men don't drink wine, so Andi and I enjoyed it.
- Saturdays dinner was this amazing salmon, served with stir fried veggies and something called "cheesy hobo potato bundles"
- Angie enjoying the fire.
- The girls didn't do much birding this trip, preferring to enjoy our time at the campsite. We did go out with the boys on Sunday morning for a bit and saw a good variety of species, including this Palm Warbler, on his way south for the winter.
- Dave and Andi looking for birds, and picture taking opportunities.
- This Hummingbird back at the campsite was our "bird nerd" moment of the trip. The campsite across from us had vacated earlier and I went over to check it out. I noticed the Hummingbird enjoying the Jewelweed plant and let the others know. All three of them came running with their cameras. Our neighbors were highly amused and in awe of the camera equipment!
- Another shot of the Hummingbird, she stayed around quite awhile.
- I can honestly say I have NEVER seen so many Dragonflies in one place as I did last weekend, it was truly magical. I think this is a Shadow Darner, but I'm not 100% sure.
- Monarchs were plentiful too. Here is one with an Eastern Comma. Golden Rod feeds the Monarchs and their long journey to Mexico.
- This field was full of Dragonflies! There were 100's of them flying everywhere. Rob and I walked carefully as to not step on the ones on the grass. I'd never seen anything like it! Watching them through the binoculars was awesome, their wings sparkled in the sun like diamonds.
- The perfect camping lunch, beans and wieners with bread and lots of butter!
- We did the Lay's taste test of the new flavours. We all enjoyed the Jalapeno Mac & Cheese, and would leave Cinnamon Bun on the shelf.
- My cool hubby roasting marshmallows.
- Isn't he cute?
- Chef Andi did all the cooking this trip, and every meal was awesome. We ate very well all weekend thanks to her. She could do things on an open fire that I'd be scared to attempt.
- Steak and shrimp was Rob's birthday dinner, he's so spoiled!
- Dinner is served! Everything was delicious.
- The four of us enjoying dinner. Andi and Rob have funny looks on their faces because they have food in their mouths! It was too good to stop eating!
- The boys cleaned up after dinner and did dishes.
- Making Jiffy Pop for the first time in 25 years or more!
- Early birthday gift from Dave and Andi, White Owl Whiskey. I'll say it again, he's so spoiled!
- This shot is a little blurry, but it captures the atmosphere of the weekend.
- Tear down breakfast! No one one was hurt fighting over the Fruit Loops.
- And "Poof", just like that, it was gone, all thanks to Speedy Gonzales Dave!
- I can't believe I almost forgot to include a Chipmunk picture! The Chipmunks were fun all weekend long. This one got quite comfortable with me and would crawl all over me and he even let me tickle his belly! Note to self - Bring more peanuts next year!
Hey you guys!
That was so surreal to see Rob on the Hawk Tower at Holiday Beach yesterday! What are the chances?!
It was so nice chatting with you and sharing bird stories. Angie, it's too bad you had to work and I missed meeting you.
I hope Pelee didn't disappoint, Rob. Were the Monarchs around?
I was so sorry I missed you!
He did have a good trip to Pelee and saw some
Monarchs. I'll tag along next year for sure! :)
What great photos and that little chipmonk is so cute.
We have had more dragonflies than other years too. Belated birthday greetings to Rob.
Post a Comment