Thursday, October 12, 2017


A not so fun surprise arrived for me in September.
September was an interesting month. It started off great with the long weekend, and our trip to Aberfoyle. We celebrated Rob's birthday the weekend after, but then I was knocked down with a nasty surprise. Thankfully it ended on a high note. Let me catch you up.

Rob's birthday was Friday, September 15th. He had booked the day off to make it a long weekend, and I only worked the morning. After picking me up at the subway we went to a couple different European deli's to pick up a few things, and then made our way to a restaurant for lunch. Rob had been wanting Schnitzel, but the restaurant had changed owners and then had closed. After that big disappointment we decided to head home and enjoy some of the goodies we had picked up at the deli for lunch and dinner instead. We also enjoyed the Black Forest Cake his Mom had dropped off to him earlier that day.

Happy Birthday!
Make a Wish!
Saturday was a pretty low key day, though we did make it down to the Ukrainian Festival in Bloor West Village for a lunch of perogies.

Sunday we went to The Owl Foundation's Annual Open House for supporters. I have lost count of how many years we have attended, but we always learn something new, and it's always great to see the owls and the dedicated people who work and volunteer there.

Here are some pics of some of the resident owls from our day there.

Two Great Gray Owls
Barred Owl
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
After a another great tour, we went for lunch and ice-cream in Vineland before heading back home.

I'm glad we had a nice weekend together, because I was in for a nasty surprise come Monday. When we went to bed Sunday night, Rob noticed a hand size rash on my back. "What's that on your back?!" I had a look in the mirror and was as surprised as he was. It wasn't itchy and I wouldn't of noticed it, if I had of went to bed alone on Sunday night like I normally do. We figured it was bug bites from our outing earlier or that I brushed up against a plant, and had a reaction. I put some Witch Hazel on it and went to bed.

I had booked Monday morning off to spend with Rob before we both went to work. I didn't feel great when I got up, rather flu like, nauseous and feverish. I actually thought about calling in sick, but decided to tough it out and go in for the afternoon like planned.

I starting feeling worse as the day went on, and when the mysterious rash started hurting in the afternoon I called my doctor's office. I couldn't get in to see him, but I could see the doctor at the Walk-In Clinic located next to my doctor's office, who I have seen in the past. I went right from work. I had to wait 2.5 hours to be seen, but I am glad I went, as my fear was confirmed, I had Shingles.

Luckily I caught it early and was able to take anti-virals for the next 7 days to help keep it from spreading and all the other nastiness associated with an outbreak. I remained home the rest of the week dealing with mild pain, flu like symptoms and extreme fatigue.

It's never fun being sick. 
Except for still dealing with some episodes of fatigue, I was feeling much better come Monday and was able to return to work. I was happy about that because I had a 4 day long weekend to look forward to and a getaway planned with a girlfriend, that I had been worried I wasn't going to be able to make.

My friend, Pat and I spent 3 days, and two nights at the charmingly rustic Sir Sam's Inn. Rob and I had spent a few nights here last Fall, and I knew my girlfriends would enjoy it too. It was the perfect place for a relaxing weekend.

A great place to escape the city.
Sir Sam's over looks Eagle Lake.
The amazing water-spa pool at Sir Sam's.
Before returning to Toronto on Sunday, we made a stop at the Haliburton Wolf Centre. We we lucky enough to see all 11 wolves in the pack! We we thrilled, as it was Pat's first time there, and I had warned her, we may not see any. But the wolves were enjoying the large sunny spot just off the visitor centre when we arrived.

Two 5 month old wolf pups enjoying the warmth of the sun. 
 I only had the power shot to take pics with, and  you take pictures through the one way glass. I took a lot of photos because they were all right there.

More of the pack, including the alpha male, Fang. (standing)
Two year old "Piper", he's my fav. 
Despite the hiccup in the middle of the month, September was a pretty fun filled month.

Having fun at Sir Sam's Inn.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Hope you've fully recovered! My bff's 27 year old daughter has had shingles *22* times! :o