Thursday, July 2, 2015


Welcome to the family girls!
The loss of Meadow on April 12th was very difficult for Rob and I. Knowing you did the right thing for your pet due to illness does not make the pain of the loss any easier to bare. We knew that one day we’d have a cat again, but it wasn’t something we were planning on doing any time soon. We have two budgies to consider, and Meadow was a unique and special kitty. I really mean it when I say we had no plans to adopt or rescue any cats any time soon, and then “Tic & Toc” happened.  

I'm a fan of the Royal York Animal Hospital on Facebook. Meadow was a patient of Dr. Allen's her whole life and we knew that when we did have a cat again, we’d be going there. I started following the story of Tic & Toc back in May. Two wee little sister kittens who were brought into RYAH by Toronto Animal Services at just 2 weeks of age. They were orphaned, as their mother had met an untimely end. Their eyes were not even open yet and they required round the clock care and bottle feedings. The fine folks at RYAH were up to the challenge and these little kittens grew and thrived. On June 21st they went up for adoption and on June 27th they came home with us.

We went to see them on June 23rd after I had mentioned them to Rob and showed him a picture. They were so small! It has been a long time since I had seen or held a kitten. Little purr machines they were. After leaving the clinic we still weren’t sure. Lots to consider and talk about, but I couldn’t stop thinking about them! We even thought of names for them. I kept calling to see if they’d been adopted. I knew they wanted them to be adopted together, and I got worried that the longer they were up for adoption they may separate them for adoption.

 The "big" phone call happened on June 25th. I called again to inquire about the kittens and had a few questions. Cheryl answered the phone. I know she doesn't understand how instrumental she was for us to make the final decision to adopt these kittens. Cheryl was there for Meadow’s last two trips to RYAH and she helped us through one of the most difficult days in our life as a couple. I took it as a sign when Cheryl was the person who was helping us make the arrangements to adopt them. After a couple more phone calls with Rob and Cheryl, they were ours. I cannot explain the joy I felt when I told Cheryl we were going to adopt them and pick them up Saturday morning, it was bubbling inside me.

Saturday was a pretty exciting day for us. It’s been 20 plus years since I had a kitten, and over a decade for Rob. We are introducing them to the house slowly, as the living-room is a large enough area for them for a little while. They gained access to the hallway and the stairs going to the small attic yesterday and wore themselves out running up and down. They were meant to be ours, I have no doubt about it. We still have lots of kitty proofing to do, including installing an accordion door between the kitchen and living-room so we know the budgies will be safe when we are not at home.

They are a joy to have, so playful and loving. We will give them the best life we possibly can. I'm glad they have each other to play with and keep each other company when we are at work, but they've made it quite clear that they need and want love and attention from their humans. 

Meadow hasn't been replaced, you cannot replace a family member. The house felt empty without her. Tic and Toc, now named Merry & Molly, have made the house feel homey again, and I see a little of Meadow in each of them. 

Best buds!
Lots of fun and laughs yet to come with these two.

Two wee little kitties!

Rob and his "girls".
Photos from Royal York Animal Hospital, while under their loving care.

1 comment:

WendyCarole said...

What cute little kittens. They look so at home with Rob. I am sure they willbring you immeasurable joy. :)